Friday, October 2, 2009

explain the unexplainable

Do any of you, can any of you, understand or explain the phenomenon of craving fiber and textiles? Really I spent an hour tonight on Ravelry drooling over various yarns and fibers and thinking of all manner of things that I could create with them. While on vacation, well over a month ago, I saw a new line of fabric from Moda that I loved! Wanted! Even walked away from! But I still keep thinking about it!

Crazy? True!

Then I walk into my craft room and realize that I still have things to knit, things to sew, things to quilt. Projects undone with my girls!

Why does the new call so much? I really REALLY try to use up, rethink, recycle but I still have more! Trying VERY hard not to give into my urges for a new project. Perhaps these are just the unexplainable urges of a crafter!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is totally an addiction of a crafter! I too can't keep myself away from the new, but try soooo hard to use up what I have. Ravelery is very addicting! Find anything exciting?

Karina said...

Me too!

Alison said...

I can so relate to this. I just did a major purge of old yarn—most of it really nice stuff, but it just seemed like it was holding me back. The art teachers in our district are very happy with this major stash-busting event. I am trying to buy for specific projects and get them on the needles and in process before I actually bring the next batch in the house...so hard...we'll see how it goes...

Alison said...

I don't even attempt to explain the unexplainable, I just go with it...

Renee said...

I'm not sure the explanation ~ just that new fiber of any kind is extremely satisfying. I just joined the Stash n Burn group on Rav to go "cold sheep" and shop my stash instead of new fiber, because if I don't address this addiction now - I'm gonna need a 12-step program or a bigger house to store it in.
The thrill of new yarn, fabric, colour, texture is just beyond rewarding. I'm not certain I actually want to fix my stashing... really, there are worse habits. lol

stitching under oaks said...

I totally understand, but have no reasonable explanation at all. There's just something that happens when new yarn or fabric is a possibility. You're in good company!

Kelly said...

I TOTALLY know how you feel! In fact, I just wrote about something very similar. There just isn't enough time or room for all of the delicious crafty stuff.

Jessica said...

That happens to me ALL the time!

Rebekah said...

this happens to me all the time. I'm seriously considering a year long craft supply fast...I've got enough stuff to last me that long and it gets a little sickening to buy more stuff only to see it sit around for ages.