Saturday, September 12, 2009

here comes dinner

The boys went fishing the other day and came back very happy. My hubby and his friend along with his son went on an overnight fishing trip.
They had a great time and came back with two sockeye salmon each. Sockeye is really good salmon. I know my mother has her opinion about salmon. It's not her favourite! Just like she isn't crazy about lasagna. But we forgive you because we love you!
To me a good salmon is a really yummy meal. In terms of eating I prefer a sockeye over a spring salmon anytime. All the salmon they caught were silver (very good) and not red (bad)! "Red" salmon at this time of the year have gotten really beaten up by the river and spawning etc and are not a great eating fish.
This year they tried their hand at fly fishing which they hadn't done before. It sounded like a lot of fun. Next year, we really want to make more time for it. Maybe I might even have to get hip waders on and try!?
For now though we can keep hoping for a little more fish!

5 comments:

crochetgurl said...

Yumm...I love fish!

It must taste even better since it's fresh caught!

Stephanie said...

Ooooo salmon, yum! You should definitely give it a try next year. We have some friends that flyfish and love it.

stitching under oaks said...

I love fish...I've not acquired the taste for salmon yet...and I couldn't tell you the difference between a sockeye and a bad red. but i'll trust you on this oned!

Renee said...

Mmm, we love fish and fishing. Been a while since we got out to Lake Ontario with the down riggers for salmon.

Are you going to smoke any of it? Enjoy. We love salmon AND lasagna. :)

Christina said...

mmmm...looks wonderful! My husband's officemate gives us his leftover salmon when he's cleaning up his freezer before a fishing trip, and it's SO yummy. I can only imagine how good your fresh fish tasted.